Networker

Re: [Networker] VTL/Dedup

2007-06-27 13:11:03
Subject: Re: [Networker] VTL/Dedup
From: Joel Fisher <jfisher AT WFUBMC DOT EDU>
To: NETWORKER AT LISTSERV.TEMPLE DOT EDU
Date: Wed, 27 Jun 2007 13:07:35 -0400
Hey Stuart!

Thanks for the time spent in replying!

We have an unlimited autochanger license just sitting around doing
nothing, so that would probably alleviate some of the growth issues you
mentioned.

We do currently have 30TB on adv_file devices, but I less then thrilled
with them to be honest.  I basically have to keep then less than 80%
full otherwise I run into problems.  In my current environment, that is
~6tb wasted... as it grows that amount of wasted space will continue to
grow.  That in part is why I was thinking VTL.   What has your capacity
utilization been with your VTL?  Another thought was to use adv_file on
ZFS then I could add incremental amounts of space to the device as
needed.

So do you keep all your levels in the VTL?  Unless we go with dedup, I
would have to dump fulls to a silo, otherwise I was have to have a
massive vtl.

If I go with a VTL, and choose one that backends to a real silo, then
I'll just emulate the same type of drives I have now.  If I chose one
that has to clone through networker, then I'll probably set it up to
emulate dlt7000s or something else small.  My thinking is that then the
vtapes won't be tied up as much so their will be fewer conflicts.

Why do you say to separate the client types?

How much data do you backup a month?

Anyone else have any experience to share about these technologies?

Thanks!

Joel