Networker

Re: [Networker] Identifying if a tape volume is in a tape drive

2007-06-18 19:07:10
Subject: Re: [Networker] Identifying if a tape volume is in a tape drive
From: Yaron Zabary <yaron AT ARISTO.TAU.AC DOT IL>
To: NETWORKER AT LISTSERV.TEMPLE DOT EDU
Date: Tue, 19 Jun 2007 02:02:20 +0300
  The quick and dirty:

If you just do 'nsrjb -u' it will eject cartridges which are not in use (write or read). You can then inspect the output of 'nsrjb -C' and you should ignore anything which is still in the drives:

# nsrjb -C | grep /dev/rmt | awk '{print $6}'
000010
000345
000390
000346

  The Right (TM) way:

# nsradmin
NetWorker administration program.
Use the "help" command for help, "visual" for full-screen mode.
nsradmin> show NSR operation; Volume Label
nsradmin> print type: NSR device; Media type: LTO Ultrium-3
                volume label: 000346;
               NSR operation: Write;

                volume label: 000345;
               NSR operation: Write;

                volume label: 000010;
               NSR operation: Write;

                volume label: 000390;
               NSR operation: ;

Stan Horwitz wrote:
I am working on a perl script on a Solaris 9 NetWorker 7.2.1 storage node. My script needs to withdraw any tape from the storage node's Qualstar tape library that have data on it and that are not being written do. The trick I don't see how to do is identify if a given tape volume is in the process of being receiving data (in which case, I will just ignore it in my script). If anyone has any ideas on how to do that, please let me know.

To sign off this list, send email to listserv AT listserv.temple DOT edu and type "signoff networker" in the body of the email. Please write to networker-request AT listserv.temple DOT edu if you have any problems with this list. You can access the archives at http://listserv.temple.edu/archives/networker.html or

-- Yaron.