Networker

Re: [Networker] Upgrading to 7.3.2 with Jumbo patch 1

2007-06-06 17:18:19
Subject: Re: [Networker] Upgrading to 7.3.2 with Jumbo patch 1
From: "Clark, Patti" <Clarkp AT OSTI DOT GOV>
To: NETWORKER AT LISTSERV.TEMPLE DOT EDU
Date: Mon, 4 Jun 2007 22:21:31 -0400

David is right, the installation guide is where the upgrade information
is located.  I did a double whammy by moving from Solaris to Linux,
upgrading from 7.2.1 to 7.3.1.  I recommend installing the NMC now if
you can.  It is available with 7.2.  It has taken me a while to switch
interfaces and there are times I dream about the old, especially when
monitoring processes.  All in all, it was a straight forward process for
my simple single server many clients environment.

I originally installed NMC on my linux workstation to "play" with it,
but I'm running it on my networker server for centralization.  It needs
the server processes to function.  NMC doesn't take up much in the way
of resources either.  Your interface is via web start which is lauched
via a browser, so reporting can be done anywhere.  You need to manage
java properly.  EMC packages v1.4.x with your installation packages, but
I recommend using the latest v1.5.x that supports web start(not java 6).
I haven't check recently, but there wasn't a web start version for
64-bit which means that you have to use 32-bit java and 32-bit browser.
Windows handles this automatically in both IE and Firefox, *nix requires
a lot of manual manipulation to maintain the java hooks if you've never
done that before (new java and/or new browser).

Patti Clark
Unix System Administrator - RHCT
Office of Scientific and Technical Information