Networker

Re: [Networker] Upgrading to 7.3.2 with Jumbo patch 1

2007-06-06 17:16:57
Subject: Re: [Networker] Upgrading to 7.3.2 with Jumbo patch 1
From: Francis Swasey <Frank.Swasey AT UVM DOT EDU>
To: NETWORKER AT LISTSERV.TEMPLE DOT EDU
Date: Tue, 5 Jun 2007 07:59:35 -0400
On 6/4/07 5:05 PM, Stan Horwitz wrote:
I intend to upgrade a Solaris 9 Power Edition server from 7.2.1. Its been several years since the last time I did a NetWorker server software upgrade. I just read the latest release notes and the new Administrator Guide. I don't see anything about how to do this upgrade in the Administrator's Guide, nor do I see that sort of information on the PowerLink web site. Where can I find upgrade info?

We just did this same upgrade. We found a section in the solaris installation guide about upgrading, which really talks about how to remove 7.3.2, so one has to go fine the removal instructions in the 7.2.1 guides.

We upgraded from 7.2.2 to 7.3.2.

We shutdown the server, removed the old solaris packages, upgraded the storage node (shutdown networker, remove old rpms (we're linux), install new rpms, start networker), install the 7.3.2 solaris packages, install the NMC solaris packages, start networker. Watch the /nsr/logs/daemon.log to make sure everything starts up (we had issues with our Qualstar Tape Library System (TLS 412300) not working!) -- it was fixed after we were given 7.3.2JumboUpdate1 (build 399) by EMC (same file name as the build 368 we'd downloaded from their website).

After the daemon.log file looks good, start gst.

This NetWorker server handles back ups for 250 servers that are a mix of Tru64, Solaris 9, Mac OS X, Windows 2000/2003, and Linux. Almost all the clients are running NetWorker 7.2.1. We also have a Solaris 9 storage node. I know I will have to put NetWorker 7.3.2 with the Jumbo patch on the storage node and the client at the same time, but is it recommended that we upgrade the clients too?

No, we have a mix of clients in the 7.x.x and have not upgraded any of them (although the Oracle folks using RMAN are telling me they've been having problems that started just before I upgraded, so I don't know what's up there).

I also intend to deploy the "new to me" NetWorker Management Console. Our current NetWorker server is underpowered, but it is due to be replaced in the next month or so with a much faster server, a Sun Fire T-2000 and a lot more disk space. What I am wondering is if I should deploy the NMC on our NetWorker server or put it on a different server. What is best practice for deploying the NMC? I intend to use it to provide all the reporting features.

I'm really not sure how resource intensive GST is to run -- but I'm not seeing any impact from it on the V240 here. If you're going to be upgrading the server soon -- is it worth the hassle of installing it somewhere else and migrating it back to the nsrserverhost later?