Networker

Re: [Networker] Cannot unmount tape automatically after finishing backup

2007-05-31 11:35:25
Subject: Re: [Networker] Cannot unmount tape automatically after finishing backup
From: "Faidherbe, Thierry" <Thierry.Faidherbe AT HP DOT COM>
To: NETWORKER AT LISTSERV.TEMPLE DOT EDU
Date: Thu, 31 May 2007 15:29:54 -0000
To setup DDS : easiest way is to recreate your jukebox and answer
yes when it ask if device is shared with different hosts. It is
faster and you cannot be wrong. Just ran inquire on each SN, and
do the matching between PHYSICAL device seen and corresponding driver
(\\.\tapex for windows, /dev/rmt/... for unix). It will be simpler
to give right values.

If not, edit each existing devices and define an Hardware Device Id,
unique for each PHYSICAL device.

Then, create the new devices and fill SAME Hardware ID for corresponding
PHYSICAL DEV.

Sample : rd=hostA:\\tape1 -> HardwareID HWID1
         rd=hostB:\\tape2 -> HardwareID HWID2
new    : rd=hostC:\\tape1 -> HardwareID HWID1 (DDS Share of Physical dev
1)
new    : rd=hostD:\\tape3 -> HardwareID HWID2 (DDS Share of Physical dev
2)

Edit then the jukebox. Edit Number of device (add 2 in this case)
Let number of DRIVE as it is (is the number of physical dev in library)

Edit then Device list and add as follow : take care !
from : rd=hostA:\\tape1 ( HardwareID HWID1 )
       rd=hostB:\\tape2 ( HardwareID HWID2 )

to   : rd=hostA:\\tape1 ( HardwareID HWID1 )
       rd=hostC:\\tape1 ( HardwareID HWID1 )
       rd=hostB:\\tape2 ( HardwareID HWID2 )
       rd=hostD:\\tape3 ( HardwareID HWID2 )

Should be ok.

Do not forget setting block size if same medium is shared accorss
Windows and
Unix systems.

HTH

TH
Kind regards - Bien cordialement - Vriendelijke groeten,

Thierry FAIDHERBE

HP Services - Storage Division
Tru64 Unix and Legato Enterprise Backup Solutions Consultant

 *********       *********   HEWLETT - PACKARD
 *******    h      *******   1 Rue de l'aeronef/Luchtschipstraat
 ******    h        ******   1140 Bruxelles/Brussel/Brussels
 *****    hhhh  pppp *****
 *****   h  h  p  p  *****   100/102 Blv de la Woluwe/Woluwedal
 *****  h  h  pppp   *****   1200 Bruxelles/Brussel/Brussels
 ******      p      ******   BELGIUM
 *********       *********   Phone :    +32 (0)2  / 729.85.42
                             Mobile :   +32 (0)498/  94.60.85
                             Fax :      +32 (0)2  / 729.88.30
     I  N  V  E  N  T        Email/MSN : thierry.faidherbe(at)hp.com
                             Internet  : http://www.hp.com/
Enterprise number 0402.220.594 - RPM/RPR Brussels