Networker

Re: [Networker] Very slow inquire command (fwd)

2007-05-30 12:30:13
Subject: Re: [Networker] Very slow inquire command (fwd)
From: Davina Treiber <davinatreiber AT PEEVRO.CO DOT UK>
To: NETWORKER AT LISTSERV.TEMPLE DOT EDU
Date: Wed, 30 May 2007 12:26:39 -0400
On Wed, 30 May 2007 10:14:46 -0600, Librado Pamintuan <LPamintuan AT REGINA DOT

wrote:

>I tried building a kernel before following the instruction from this
website http://www.linuxtapecert.org/, but the greater problem/issue is
that, you cannot get any support from RedHat if you are running a custom
built or re-compiled kernel.

Well this is a different issue, more about what Linux should or shouldn't
be. Once you move to a commercial Linux you are reliant on a vendor for
patches, and something that is in fact trivial and quick to fix could take
months, since you need to wait for a released patch.

You need RedHat to supply this patch, I suggest you push them for it. I can
easily supply you with an edited st.c file if you need it for reference.

In my opinion, restricting Linux to run only on someone else's idea of what
should be included removes a lot of the benefits of an open source OS. It's
a shame that RedHat won't support custom kernels. I moved away from RedHat
when they split off the Enterprise versions, but instead of using Fedora I
changed to gentoo - which is a Linux distro for purists.