Networker

Re: [Networker] Very slow inquire command (fwd)

2007-05-30 12:11:17
Subject: Re: [Networker] Very slow inquire command (fwd)
From: Stan Horwitz <stan AT TEMPLE DOT EDU>
To: NETWORKER AT LISTSERV.TEMPLE DOT EDU
Date: Wed, 30 May 2007 12:07:57 -0400
On May 30, 2007, at 11:45 AM, Librado Pamintuan wrote:

So which is more painful:

Keep the current Networker v7.2.2 and downgrade the kernel to RedHat ES 3 or Keep the current kernel of Red Hat ES 4 and upgrade Networker to v7.3.x

I am confronted with a similar question. I manage one data zone. We are at 7.2.1 now, but we due to add a new storage node and replace our NetWorker server. We also plan to replace an existing storage node and tape library for new hardware.

In essence, I am due to replace most of my organization's NetWorker infrastructure with new hardware this summer. Fortunately, a good deal of this work will be handled by our reseller, but I still need to plan it all.

I am inclined to upgrade from 7.2.1, but I am thinking of waiting until 7.4 is out since it offers some reporting features that I have been asked for for quite some time. To add to the confusion, NetWorker 7.3.4 is due out shortly after 7.4 and some of my new hardware has already been delivered and I am under a mandate not to allow new hardware to sit and go unused!

I have two colleagues who assist me with managing NetWorker backups. I have had some hands on training with NetWorker 7.3 and I have it running on my laptop just so I can get used to the new GUI, but neither of my colleagues have any experience with 7.3.x so they will need to be retrained. Our internal NSR documentation will also need to be updated, and we still are not done writing it yet! On top of that, the various systems administrators who use the NetWorker client will also need some retraining.

Quite the quandary!