Networker

[Networker] Any Solaris 9 gurus?

2007-05-16 12:47:22
Subject: [Networker] Any Solaris 9 gurus?
From: Stan Horwitz <stan AT TEMPLE DOT EDU>
To: NETWORKER AT LISTSERV.TEMPLE DOT EDU
Date: Wed, 16 May 2007 12:31:20 -0400
This is a bit off topic, but I am getting nowhere trying to set up a tagged VLAN on a Solaris 9 box that I am using as a storage node.

My network manager changed this server's connection from a regular connection to a tagged VLAN connection. It started off with a ce3 interface in "ifconfig -a" but I had to drop that and I am trying to replace it with

/sbin/ifconfig ce1600000 plumb ipaddress netmask 255.255.252.0 broadcast brdaddress up

The /etc/hosts file already contains the appropriate entry for this VLAN from when the IP address was assigned to ce3 and the /etc/ netmasks file also contains the relevant entry from before. I also created a file
/etc/hostname.ce1600000 with the name of the host in it.

Yet when I issue the above command, I get an error that says

ifconfig: SIOCLIFNAME for ip: ce1600000: no such interface

What am I doing wrong? My network administrator and I have been working on this for the past hour and googling only tells me information that I already know.

Any tips will be greatly appreciated.