Networker

[Networker] How to make unique save set names for Oracle backups?

2007-05-07 15:56:23
Subject: [Networker] How to make unique save set names for Oracle backups?
From: George Sinclair <George.Sinclair AT NOAA DOT GOV>
To: NETWORKER AT LISTSERV.TEMPLE DOT EDU
Date: Mon, 7 May 2007 15:55:54 -0400
Hi,

Is is possible to create unique save set names with Oracle backups using NMO and RMAN?

Our save set names are always the name of the rman script itself. For example, when we run our level 1
backups, mminfo reports something like this:

vol001 client 05/07/07 257 KB full RMAN:/oracle/rman/level1_test.rcv vol001 client 05/07/07 9473 KB full RMAN:/oracle/rman/level1_test.rcv vol001 client 05/07/07 2561 KB full RMAN:/oracle/rman/level1_test.rcv vol001 client 05/07/07 83 MB full RMAN:/oracle/rman/level1_test.rcv vol001 client 05/07/07 8705 KB full RMAN:/oracle/rman/level1_test.rcv vol001 client 05/07/07 257 KB full RMAN:/oracle/rman/level1_test.rcv
vol001    client    05/07/07 290 KB       9  index:client

How do we change it so the save set names are unique?

Here's the way we're doing it now. We have two NSR client resources for the Oracle client. One handles level 0 cumulative backups, and the other does level 1. Each lists the respective path to the rman script as the save set name (e.g.RMAN:/oracle/rman/level1_test.rcv), and each specifies an nsrmo script name under the 'Backup command' field. The nsrnmo script specifies the Oracle SID and the LOG file name. We are able to produce a unique log file, but not the save set itself. We're running Oracle 10g on a Linux box with NW 7.2.2 and NMO 4.2. Our primary backup server
is running NW 7.2.2.

Here's what our level 1 rman script looks like:

connect catalog rman/rman@CATTEST;
connect target sys/manager@TEST;

run {
  allocate channel t1 type 'SBT_TAPE';
  allocate channel t2 type 'SBT_TAPE';
  allocate channel t3 type 'SBT_TAPE';
  allocate channel t4 type 'SBT_TAPE';

backup as backupset incremental level 1 cumulative database;

  release channel t1;
  release channel t2;
  release channel t3;
  release channel t4;
}

The level 0 script looks the same but specifies 'level 0' instead of 'level 1' in the backup command.
If we try to add a format like this:

backup as backupset incremental level 1 cumulative database format "client_%d_level1_df_%s.%p";

the NW save set names are still the name of the rman script itself. Nothing else is included.

Any help would be appreciated.

George

--
George Sinclair - NOAA/NESDIS/National Oceanographic Data Center
SSMC3 4th Floor Rm 4145       | Voice: (301) 713-3284 x210