Networker

Re: [Networker] nsrclone

2007-05-04 09:16:59
Subject: Re: [Networker] nsrclone
From: NetWorker Forum <networker-forum AT BACKUPCENTRAL DOT COM>
To: NETWORKER AT LISTSERV.TEMPLE DOT EDU
Date: Fri, 4 May 2007 06:16:04 -0700
I have a perl script that creates a list of ssid's that I want to clone. It
organizes it by volume and then starts 5 threads with unique ssid's to clone. I
check the return code of the nsrclone command at the end and if it's successful
then I remove the  source ssid and keep the new cloned ssid on physical tape.
The problem is that sometimes there is a message in STDERR that we didn't
capture as part of the script. But if you look at STDOUT it says "nsrclone:
Successfully cloned all requested save sets " and $? = 0. When you try to
restore the cloned ssid it is missing data. There is a bug ID "LGTsc05102" for
this problem. The only resolution is that I am now capturing STDOUT and STDERR
and the script does NOT do an automatic cleanup. We have to manually look
through the logs to make sure there are no errors and then we can remove them.

Also, we ended up losing a significant amount of backed up data due to NW's
2038 bug. No one told us this when we bought it and NW accepts a browse and
retention past the year 2038 but it then marks them eligible for recycling
within 24 hours. We didn't notice it for awhile, so we lost a significant
amount of data that we are legally bound to keep. FDA requirements.

Looks like we found another 'bug?' with the CDL last night too. It is trying to
load a virtual volume in a virtual drive but can not read the label. It then
makrs it as unlabeled and put's it back in the virtual slot. It then tries
another and same thing. Then another and another until we are out of volumes
and backups stop. We have opened a bug with that too and EMC has acknowledged
that it is a bug. It is on the hardware side so NW is waiting on hardware
engineers to fix it.