Networker

Re: [Networker] tiering for license of exchange module with dual core processors

2007-05-04 05:31:02
Subject: Re: [Networker] tiering for license of exchange module with dual core processors
From: mark wragge <mark_t_wragge AT YAHOO DOT IE>
To: NETWORKER AT LISTSERV.TEMPLE DOT EDU
Date: Fri, 4 May 2007 10:27:00 +0100
But in my case the tier 2 license does not appear to be sufficent to backup the
exchagne server. Is it possible that networker is incorectly detecting 4
processors as seen in device manager?

  I had a networker evalutaion license in use. The exchagne backup worked.
  I installed the real licenses and authorised them with codes. The exchange
model license is installed and has no expiry date. Exchagne backup failed.
  I installed a temp exchange license and now the exchange backup is working.

  I will log a call with EMC.

  Thanks

Preston de Guise <enterprise.backup AT GMAIL DOT COM> wrote:
  Todd, Mark,

> If the OS reports 4 CPUs, yes. This also applies to hyper-threading (or
> at least it did last I checked...).

No, that's not correct.

The EMC licensing documentation clearly states that they license by the
number of physical slots occupied.

A dual-core processor which only occupies a single, physical slot only
requires a license covering 1 processor.

The same has always applied to hyperthreading too. I.e., quoting the
guidelines:

"NetWorker licensing is based on physical CPUs, therefore hyper-threaded, as
well as Dual Core CPUs will only count as single physical CPUs when
licensing with NetWorker, regardless of the number of logical CPUs
represented."

Cheers,

Preston.

http://www.anywebdb.com