Networker

Re: [Networker] SUN X4500 'Thumper' as a storage node?

2007-05-03 11:01:25
Subject: Re: [Networker] SUN X4500 'Thumper' as a storage node?
From: "Wood, R A (Bob)" <WoodR AT CHEVRON DOT COM>
To: NETWORKER AT LISTSERV.TEMPLE DOT EDU
Date: Thu, 3 May 2007 16:02:01 +0100
Brendan,
        Thanks for sharing you experiences with VTL. I know there will
be some polarisation with pro VTL and pro Adv-disk so I thought I'd
share an experience from the other camp :)

We use Adv-disk and have done since they were first introduced (and
plain disk devices before that). We started with locally attached disk
for backing up slow remote devices that were hogging tape drives then
moved up to 10TB for Networker use and, about 12 months after that, a
storage node with another 20TB. That kept us ticking over for years.
We've just added a further storage node and another 20TB. Other parts of
our organisation are going down the VTL route but, even with your stated
advantages, it doesn't seem to offer the same flexibility that I have
with adv-disk.

We use 2TB vols and have the cloning and staging scripted (Networker
doesn't seem to good at doing these things itself - autocloning delays
end of group until cloning finished, autostaging is a bit clunky too,
etc.). We backup to disk over night, clone to tape early morning ready
for offsite then stage disk to tape after a week or so. Whole setup
works very well. We've even done away with the need to share drives,
each storage node has dedicated drives to which the storage nodes can
send data as fast as the drives will take it (we don't have machines
that are capable of streaming more than 2 or 3 LTO3s at the same time).
We shift around 170TB per month.

We heard of one issue with a VTL where something happened (not sure what
it was, panic or some other glitch) the VTL reset itself and promptly
forgot about all of its volumes and zeroed everything that wasn't a
physical tape. Some glum faces over that...

Also, there's the issue of where the data is, is it in the library on
disk, in the library on tape? How would Networker know? It just has it
as being in the library, the VTL keeps a separate catalogue of what's
where.

I do like the idea of offloading the processing from Networker but I
think that is easily achievable by using storage nodes. One area where
VTL scores over our current setup is the ability to replicate VTL to
VTL. (We may come up with something that allows us to replicate adv-disk
- maybe clone to another adv-disk at a remote location or something, but
we don't have that capability right now).

To summarise, then, I'm a fan of adv-disk devices and, while I think VTL
technology has come on leaps and bounds, I think there's still a good
way to go before I'd feel happy going that route.

Regards
Bob