Networker

Re: [Networker] disk backup questions??

2007-05-01 11:41:11
Subject: Re: [Networker] disk backup questions??
From: mark wragge <mark_t_wragge AT YAHOO DOT IE>
To: NETWORKER AT LISTSERV.TEMPLE DOT EDU
Date: Tue, 1 May 2007 16:41:07 +0100
Our configuration is disk backup to a NAS disk device (adaptec snap server).
The NAS is attached directhly to the backup server via a crossover cable.

  Thanks for the info.

Yaron Zabary <yaron AT ARISTO.TAU.AC DOT IL> wrote:
  mark wragge wrote:
> Hi, I know that these questions have been covered before but i would like to
> clarify a few features of advance file device disk backup.
>
> How many savesets clone at a time for a single advanced file disk device?

Savesets are cloned one at a time according to the staging policy.
Once staged, they are deleted at once (with the 7.2.2Jumbo + latest
hotfix, it introduces about two seconds delay (if I am not mistaken) for
each cloned saveset, so if you cloned 1000 savesets, nsrstage will wait
~500 seconds before it starts deleting them from the adv_file).

> When cloning is running can I perform a restore?

I don't clone so I cannot tell.

> When staging is running can I perform a restore?

No. The restore will hang till the stage finishes.

> When staging is running can I perform cloning?

> If I cant restore during staging/cloning then can I prioritize a restore so
> that if cloning or staging is taking place, and I initiate a restore, then
> the restore will start and the cloning /staging will pause.

I didn't find such an option. In theory, you could mount the
adv_file elsewhere (on the client that runs the recover) and access the
saveset directly. I tried that but couldn't get it to work (it insisted
on using nsrmmd). The Chapter 5 of the Admin guide has a table that
shows what you can do concurrently with adv_file.

> Our Cloning is running at 10mb/sec from disk to tape? The speed does not
> change no matter if the saveset contains one single file (exchange database)
> or many files (fileserver).
> Where is the speed restriction likely to be - the number of savesets that
> clone at once; the read access from the disk; or the tape device (LTO
> Ultirum).

When staging from a LUN on EMC AX150 to an LTO-2/LTO-3 on Sun 280R I
can see over 30Mb/s (which is LTO-2 max native speed). This speed goes
down if backup is running at the same time.

What are the exact details of your setup ?

> Thanks.

> this list. You can access the archives at

-- Yaron.