Networker

Re: [Networker] Multiple clones from VTL

2007-04-26 11:51:55
Subject: Re: [Networker] Multiple clones from VTL
From: Ken Gehring <ken.gehring AT GMAIL DOT COM>
To: NETWORKER AT LISTSERV.TEMPLE DOT EDU
Date: Thu, 26 Apr 2007 09:52:58 -0600
Well, you could do something like the following for selecting the
savesets you want

1st clone selection
/usr/sbin/nsrclone -b Clone -v -S `/usr/sbin/mminfo -r ssid  -t'48
hours ago' -q'!incomplete,pool=Production,copies<2'`

2nd clone selection
/usr/sbin/nsrclone -b Clone -v -S `/usr/sbin/mminfo -r ssid  -t'48
hours ago' -q'!incomplete,pool=Production,copies<3'`

Simple, probably inefficient, but it works for us.

Ken

On 4/26/07, Brian O'Neill <oneill AT oinc DOT net> wrote:
Hmm...no responses? Anyone have answers? I though someone would at least
be able to answer about which "clone" is the preferred one on a restore...

Brian O'Neill wrote:
> I just realized a major disadvantage of using our LTO-3 tapes, which
> currently fits almost a week's worth of backups on tape - thats an
> aweful lot of data to lose if a tape is unreadable...
>
> So, to limit the possibilities of this, I was thinking of simply making
> an extra clone of the savesets, and have just a couple questions.
>
> Right now, the migration from VTL to LTO-3 is handled by a script that
> is wrapped around nsrstage, which clones the volumes then deletes the
> existing savesets from the media DB. Thus the clones are the only copies
> and are used for restores, no issue.
>
> I was thinking of changing this to:
>
> - Split the tapes into two clone pools, "A" and "B"
>
> - Use nsrclone to clone the savesets on the VTL to pool A
>
> - Use nsrstage to clone the savesets on the VTL to pool B, thus freeing
> the VTL storage
>
> This would have to be sequential, so it would take twice as long. Not a
> big deal for us right now. We could also keep one pool nearline, and the
> other offsite.
>
> Does this make sense? Is there a better way?
>
> Also, if a restore is requested, which clone is it likely to choose to
> restore from? If I'm doing a non-saveset level restore, is there a way
> to specify to use an alternate clone? Or if the primary clone fails, is
> a saveset restore my only option?
>
> -Brian

this
> list. You can access the archives at

They that can give up essential liberty to obtain a little
temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.
--Benjamin Franklin