Networker

[Networker] Multiple clones from VTL

2007-04-24 12:26:20
Subject: [Networker] Multiple clones from VTL
From: "Brian O'Neill" <oneill AT OINC DOT NET>
To: NETWORKER AT LISTSERV.TEMPLE DOT EDU
Date: Tue, 24 Apr 2007 12:24:24 -0400
I just realized a major disadvantage of using our LTO-3 tapes, which currently fits almost a week's worth of backups on tape - thats an aweful lot of data to lose if a tape is unreadable...

So, to limit the possibilities of this, I was thinking of simply making an extra clone of the savesets, and have just a couple questions.

Right now, the migration from VTL to LTO-3 is handled by a script that is wrapped around nsrstage, which clones the volumes then deletes the existing savesets from the media DB. Thus the clones are the only copies and are used for restores, no issue.

I was thinking of changing this to:

- Split the tapes into two clone pools, "A" and "B"

- Use nsrclone to clone the savesets on the VTL to pool A

- Use nsrstage to clone the savesets on the VTL to pool B, thus freeing the VTL storage

This would have to be sequential, so it would take twice as long. Not a big deal for us right now. We could also keep one pool nearline, and the other offsite.

Does this make sense? Is there a better way?

Also, if a restore is requested, which clone is it likely to choose to restore from? If I'm doing a non-saveset level restore, is there a way to specify to use an alternate clone? Or if the primary clone fails, is a saveset restore my only option?

-Brian