Networker

[Networker] RMAN backup newbie

2007-04-24 11:19:37
Subject: [Networker] RMAN backup newbie
From: Vince Howard <V.Howard AT WANSBECK.GOV DOT UK>
To: NETWORKER AT LISTSERV.TEMPLE DOT EDU
Date: Tue, 24 Apr 2007 16:20:21 +0100
Hi Gurus,

I'm a complete newbie to Oracle backups in NetWorker so I'm turning to
you guys in the hope you'll be able to help me out.  I can't find
anything specifically to do with this in the NetWorker archives.

I've set up a NetWorker client to back up an Oracle host - NW
server/client 7.2.1 build 311 and NMO 4.2.  RMAN is producing 6GBs of
backup file, but when the script tries to close the channel it was using
I get the following and the backup group fails:

RMAN-00571: ===========================================================
RMAN-00571: ===========================================================
RMAN-03002: failure of release command at 04/24/2007 15:48:30
RMAN-06012: channel: t1 not allocated

RMAN script is for a consistent database backup, as follows (no archive
logs, no catalog):

connect target target_user/target_passwd@target_Netservicename

run {
    set command id to 'RBTRAIN1';

    allocate channel t1 type 'SBT_TAPE';

    shutdown immediate;

    startup force dba;
    shutdown immediate;

    startup mount;

    backup
        format 'FULL_%d_%U'
     (database include current controlfile);

    release channel t1;

    alter database open;
}

Can anyone point out where I'm going wrong or, ideally, be kind enough
to supply sample scripts for full and incremental backups for me to
build from?

Best Regards,

Vince

Vince Howard

Programmer/UNIX System Administrator

IT Section

Wansbeck District Council

Front Street West

Bedlington

Northumberland

NE22 5TU

UK

Tel (DDI): +44 (0)1670 843472

Fax:       +44 (0)1670 843484

e-mail:    v.howard AT wansbeck.gov DOT uk
Web:       www.wansbeck.gov.uk <http://www.wansbeck.gov.uk/>
<mailto:v.howard AT wansbeck.gov DOT ukP>

P  Please consider the environment before printing this email. Thank
you.

they are addressed.  If you have received this e-mail in error please
notify the originator of the message.

states them to be the views of Wansbeck District Council.

This footer also confirms that this e-mail message has been scanned
for the presence of computer viruses.

Wansbeck District Council Web Site is: www.wansbeck.gov.uk