Networker

Re: [Networker] Need help with cleaning tape mess

2007-04-22 20:38:43
Subject: Re: [Networker] Need help with cleaning tape mess
From: Peter Viertel <Peter.Viertel AT MACQUARIE DOT COM>
To: NETWORKER AT LISTSERV.TEMPLE DOT EDU
Date: Mon, 23 Apr 2007 10:31:12 +1000
Not sure about the M1800 but on the libraries I have experience with
(stk and adic) system cleaning slots are invisible to networker..  If a
cleaning tape is in a regular slot, then the library is not going to use
them for auto cleaning instead there are usually slots set aside in the
library that are not accessible by client systems...  Eg with STK when
you use the GUI or the front panel to import cleaning tapes they get put
in slots referred to as either playground, or reserved slots, and nsrjb
doesn't show them at all.  With the adic i500 you put the tapes in the
mailbox and when asked on the panel where to put them, you select
'System'.

The problem here is keeping track of the usage and alerting when they're
exhausted... We tackle that currently by our sysops routinely checking
this on the front panels every few months, but it's possible to access
this info via SNMP if you want something automated.