Networker

Re: [Networker] VTL Comparison

2007-04-20 11:36:20
Subject: Re: [Networker] VTL Comparison
From: Mark Davis <davism AT UWO DOT CA>
To: NETWORKER AT LISTSERV.TEMPLE DOT EDU
Date: Fri, 20 Apr 2007 11:36:15 -0400
Fazil Saiyed wrote:
Hello,
Any one out there who has VTL experiance can you relate your experiance in regards to Performance, your vendor choice and reasons, cloning, pain points, likes\dislikes.
Dedup exp, hardware compresion and general legato config, issues.
Our enviroment is Networker 7.3.2 on Windows 2003-64 bit.
One storage Node-Windows.
LTO-2 I2K Tape lib.

Fazil,

That is a BIG question, but I can offer up a bit. We bought the FalconStor VTL Appliance. This is a software application, and we put the hardware pieces together ourselves. It is not a job for the faint of heart. We have a very experienced System Admin who did this work, as it is quite complex to configure.

One reason we went this way is that FalconStor supplies the VTL engine to EMC for their own VTL products, so they are very familiar with the quirks of Legato. The VTL has been very reliable, and Networker works well with it. Previously we were using the Advanced File Type for our disk to disk to tape configuration, and it was nothing but a headache trying to balance the data across multiple disk volumes.

We have been looking at the FalconStor SIR, to add dedup to our system. This product is still very much in the beta stage, and they could not provide us with a test platform they had promised. They are still coding. I think the SIR is going to be a great addition our system but it is very much bleeding edge at this point.

Regards,

Mark
--
Mark Davis