Networker

Re: [Networker] Why does NetWorker use a read-only drive for writing?

2007-04-10 18:14:57
Subject: Re: [Networker] Why does NetWorker use a read-only drive for writing?
From: Preston de Guise <enterprise.backup AT GMAIL DOT COM>
To: NETWORKER AT LISTSERV.TEMPLE DOT EDU
Date: Wed, 11 Apr 2007 08:11:31 +1000
Hi George,

> I have a tape device wherein I set "Read only" to Yes. The device is
> Enabled. Why does NetWorker still try to use the device for backups?

Usually bug related. Do you have multiple types of devices (e.g., say, LTO-2
and LTO-3), and write to only one type of device? I've seen instances in the
past, mainly associated with cloning, where NetWorker will think that it can
initiate an operation simply because there's a device free, regardless of
whether the device is of a matching type for the pool, or whether it's
marked as read-only. Usually actually disabling the device will make it work
better, but this is a hassle if you have to do frequent restores from the
"old" device types in your environment.

In general, if you hit this, it's a bug, not a design mistake in your
environment.

Cheers,

Preston.

--