Networker

Re: [Networker] Performance of NW 7.2.x on Solaris 8 or 9 or 10?

2007-04-04 15:35:43
Subject: Re: [Networker] Performance of NW 7.2.x on Solaris 8 or 9 or 10?
From: Darren Dunham <ddunham AT TAOS DOT COM>
To: NETWORKER AT LISTSERV.TEMPLE DOT EDU
Date: Wed, 4 Apr 2007 12:30:32 -0700
> >> Our setup is a Netapp FAS960 with around 12Tb of data, backed up via
> >> NFS currently, a Notes server, plus some other small misc boxes to
> >> backup.   We've looked into NDMP backups in the past, but the limits
> >> on restores being 10,240 files or less for Indexed backups really just
> >> kills using NDMP for us.
>
> Darren> What's your filer OS?  I thought the limit was 1 million files
> Darren> even back on 7.1?  Of course even 1M files may not be
> Darren> sufficient for you, but it's a lot better than 10K.
>
> We're running 7.0.3P3, but were thinking of going to 7.2.1.1 at some
> point.
>
> >From what I've been told and understand, if you setup NDMP with
> indexing (DAR), then you cannot restore more than 10,240 files
> individually at a time, which is a big hassle.  We have filesystems
> with over a million files in them, and some with 5 million plus.  I
> won't comment on the silliness of the applications doing this mind
> you, but...

I don't have a link to the actual guide, but here's one to the rebadged
Sun StorEdge Enterprise Backup 7.2.  It is similar to my local copy of
the release notes for EMC Networker 7.2.1.

http://www.sun.com/products-n-solutions/hardware/docs/pdf/819-0288-10.pdf

The table on page 64 suggests that the 10,240 file limitation is only
for OnTAP versions earlier than 6.4.

I do not have an environment that I can test that figure.  I'm just
going off the documentation.