Networker

Re: [Networker] Performance of NW 7.2.x on Solaris 8 or 9 or 10?

2007-04-04 13:52:20
Subject: Re: [Networker] Performance of NW 7.2.x on Solaris 8 or 9 or 10?
From: Jeff Mery <jeff.mery AT NI DOT COM>
To: NETWORKER AT LISTSERV.TEMPLE DOT EDU
Date: Wed, 4 Apr 2007 12:42:08 -0500
We're running Solaris 9 on V480 (storage node), V440 (server & storage
node), and V445 (storage node) with v7.14 of Networker and they scoot
along pretty good.  We're really looking forward to Solaris 10 though. The
networking stack was completely rewritten and should be *much* better.
Unfortunately, the Solaris 10 upgrade requires Networker 7.3.x which we're
not quite ready for just yet.

Jeff Mery - MCSE, MCP
National Instruments

"Allow me to extol the virtues of the Net Fairy, and of all the fantastic
dorks that make the nice packets go from here to there. Amen."
TB - Penny Arcade

John Stoffel <john.stoffel AT TAEC.TOSHIBA DOT COM>
Sent by: EMC NetWorker discussion <NETWORKER AT LISTSERV.TEMPLE DOT EDU>
04/04/2007 11:37 AM
Please respond to
EMC NetWorker discussion <NETWORKER AT LISTSERV.TEMPLE DOT EDU>; Please respond
John Stoffel <john.stoffel AT TAEC.TOSHIBA DOT COM>

NETWORKER AT LISTSERV.TEMPLE DOT EDU
cc

Subject
[Networker] Performance of NW 7.2.x on Solaris 8 or 9 or 10?

Hi all,

We're planning on upgrading an old E450 with Solaris 8 running NW
7.2.x with a new V440, but we're debating which OS to run.  Most of
our remaining Sun boxes still run Solaris 8, it's been nice and stable
for years.  We do have some Solaris 9 boxes, and I seem to recall that
9 made network and IO performance boosts over 8.  But it might be time
to dip our toes into the Solaris 10 waters.

Our setup is a Netapp FAS960 with around 12Tb of data, backed up via
NFS currently, a Notes server, plus some other small misc boxes to
backup.   We've looked into NDMP backups in the past, but the limits
on restores being 10,240 files or less for Indexed backups really just
kills using NDMP for us.

We're planning on moving to a private Gigabit link between the Netapp
and the V440, hopefully using Jumbo Frames (and point to point, no
swith in the middle).  Our jukebox is a Quantum P4000 with a pair of
SCSI attached SDLT 320 drives.  They max out around 25mb/sec
currently.

So, what do people think?  Solaris 9?  Solaris 10?  Which will give us
a performance boost?

Thanks,
John

type