Networker

[Networker] Migrating savesets from VTL to tape - making virtual tapes recyclable?

2007-04-03 17:06:23
Subject: [Networker] Migrating savesets from VTL to tape - making virtual tapes recyclable?
From: "Brian O'Neill" <oneill AT OINC DOT NET>
To: NETWORKER AT LISTSERV.TEMPLE DOT EDU
Date: Tue, 3 Apr 2007 16:59:15 -0400
Again, I'm in my first foray into Virtual Tape Library land.

I elected to go with 7.3.2 on Linux (wish I built the server as x86_64 now that I can use it, but alas...) and its solved the SCSI device issues I was previously having.

Everything seems to work well, at least after figuring out why the java console wouldn't work (there was a VPN with NAT involved).

Next question:

I've got the VTL set up as the default pool, and the LTO-3 library as the Default Clone pool. I've got enough space in the VTL for about 2 weeks at the current run rate, but I only need 1 week for our plans as we need to migrate to tape once a week for offsite storage.

Our browse and retention times are set to Quarter.

I was able to use nsrstage to migrate the savesets to the Clone volumes fine, and it appears to have properly deleted the saveset entries on the originals from the database. The savesets are still listed on the volume as "recoverable".

How will the virtual tapes get recycled? I presume I need to have auto media management activated. Will it automatically re-use a virtual tape when needed? Any other settings I need to use? They aren't marked as recyclable (yet at least), and still retain their original expiration dates.

Do I need a script to mark all the volumes recyclable as needed?

-Brian