Networker

Re: [Networker] Problems with Linux (CentOS) and inquire/nsrjb/etc.

2007-04-03 07:55:11
Subject: Re: [Networker] Problems with Linux (CentOS) and inquire/nsrjb/etc.
From: "Brian O'Neill" <oneill AT OINC DOT NET>
To: NETWORKER AT LISTSERV.TEMPLE DOT EDU
Date: Tue, 3 Apr 2007 07:52:07 -0400
I was afraid of that.

For some reason I was thinking that 7.2.2 Jumbo was compatible...it worked in test instances, but I hadn't tried with a changer. I think its my aging brain...

I will look into Davina Treiber's suggestion about patching the kernel, but I think this is the point where I will finally look at 7.3.X.

Rodney Rutherford wrote:
Sure, been there, done that1

You need to run CentOS/RHEL 3.x for NetWorker 7.2.x.

If you want to run CentOS/RHEL 4.x, you have to use NetWorker 7.3.x

Rodney

Brian O'Neill wrote:
I'm setting up a new Linux server running Legato Networker 7.2.2 494,
that has two libraries (one DX3000 VTL via FC connection, the other a
PX502 via SCSI).

The server is running CentOS 4.4 (basically Red Hat ES4 Update 4).

I can see the libraries and all the drives via the OS and tools like
mtx, mt, etc.

All the device files exist (both /dev/sgX and /dev/nstX).

However, the inquire, nsrjb, and jbconfig commands all take quite a
while to run. They sit and do apparently nothing for a while.

I did an strace of the processes as they are running. The problem
appears to be with the /dev/nstX files.

Essentially the commands scan through all the /dev/sgX files, up through
/dev/sg19 (the last one). It tries to open /dev/sg20 through /dev/sg24
before giving up (I think it assumes after 5 failures it isn't likely to
find more later on). So far this is fine.

Then it opens /dev/nst0 read-only, performs a couple ioctl() calls, and
closes it. Fine.

Then it opens /dev/nst1 - or at least tries to. It waits for a while,
then fails with "-1 EIO (Input/output error)". It does the same all the
way through /dev/nst5, which being the 5th failure results in it giving
up, and it rescans all the /dev/sgX devices again. inquire will list all
the drives, showing a /dev/sgX device instead of the /dev/nstX device,
except for the first one.

There are no problems with permissions - all device files are identical
except for minor numbers, and I'm running as root.

mt can access and give the status of each device fine. If I try and use
mt on the device that inquire/nsrjb is trying to access, I get that it
is busy, so it DOES have it open.

There is no commonality either - /dev/nst0 is on the PX502, but so is
/dev/nst1 and that doesn't work.

The upshot is that the commands take forever to run, and I don't appear
to be able to label tapes anyways (the drive I inventory or label with
appears to go into service mode for no reason, and it just complains
that "no tape label found".

Any ideas as to what I'm missing?

-Brian

To sign off this list, send email to listserv AT listserv.temple DOT edu and type "signoff networker" in the body of the email. Please write to networker-request AT listserv.temple DOT edu if you have any problems with this list. You can access the archives at http://listserv.temple.edu/archives/networker.html or via RSS at http://listserv.temple.edu/cgi-bin/wa?RSS&L=NETWORKER <http://listserv.temple.edu/cgi-bin/wa?RSS&L=NETWORKER>