Networker

Re: [Networker] backing up vmware (esx3) from Legato, guests, hosts, does it work best practices?

2007-04-02 10:27:43
Subject: Re: [Networker] backing up vmware (esx3) from Legato, guests, hosts, does it work best practices?
From: Ken Gehring <ken.gehring AT GMAIL DOT COM>
To: NETWORKER AT LISTSERV.TEMPLE DOT EDU
Date: Mon, 2 Apr 2007 08:24:11 -0600
I've learned a bit and am learning more.
0) Legato (as of ESX 3.0) no longer supports backing up the ESX vmfs file system
1) You can back up individual instances as networker clients
(expensive in terms of client licenses)
2) You can take snapshots of clients and back up the snapshots
(expensive in terms of disk space)
3) You can use Vmware Consolidated Backup (we are still investigating
this but it is probably expensive in terms of both disk space and
additional server(s)).

So far, that seems to be your choices