Networker

Re: [Networker] Pro's and Con's of NDMP

2007-03-29 09:29:26
Subject: Re: [Networker] Pro's and Con's of NDMP
From: Fazil Saiyed <fazil.saiyed AT ANIXTER DOT COM>
To: NETWORKER AT LISTSERV.TEMPLE DOT EDU
Date: Thu, 29 Mar 2007 09:17:31 -0400
some of the NAS pains are because of multi  vendor enviroment and NDMP
implementation, it took me a while to figure out NDMP backup senarios, but
once i did, everything is working very well with Legato, there is
alternative such as Hitachi, IBM Shark & DMX all at much much heigher
cost, do you think Powerpath, FDR\SOS cost less? think again, you can do
OS update on Netapp withen minutes, try doing that with Sym.
I would recomend carefull planing & consideration etc before buying NAS,
Netapp has saved us so many time with it's capabilty to grow the file
systems on the fly ( other vendors offer similar funtionality)
i would also consider Cluster storage such as Issilion with NDMP support,
which ever vendor you use, make sure your DR plan is in place and tested.
NDMP version 4 may be suited better then some older implementations also.