Networker

[Networker] Sessions problem

2007-03-26 05:41:11
Subject: [Networker] Sessions problem
From: Tim Verbois <Tim.Verbois AT ET.VLAANDEREN DOT BE>
To: NETWORKER AT LISTSERV.TEMPLE DOT EDU
Date: Mon, 26 Mar 2007 11:38:02 +0200
Hello,

this weekend I was monitoring the backup activity and I noticed that our 5 most important servers were waiting for a tape. A few hours earlier, they were backupping.

We have 3 LTO-2 drives and 2 pools that are frequently used (Full and incremental).

What happened was that when their tape was full, the server wanted to change the tape, but the incremental tape got in between and started to backup to one drive. No problem for me, but these 5 servers were waiting, while there were still 2 drives with the full pool. Why couldn't they just join that drive? Later on I noticed that there were 2 incremental tapes in 2 drives and I only got one full tape left. The server was asking for 2 full tapes and I had a whole bunch of savesets waiting. At sunday there were only 2 and later just 1 save session backupping to that full pool and the speed was just 10 MB/s, so there was plenty of room for the waiting savesets to join, but they didn't. These important servers have priority 1, so most important, and still they get backupt last. Can I change the default behaviour?
--
Tim Verbois
EDS-Telindus