Networker

Re: [Networker] Maximum number of save sessions?

2007-03-19 15:21:58
Subject: Re: [Networker] Maximum number of save sessions?
From: Dave Mussulman <mussulma AT UIUC DOT EDU>
To: NETWORKER AT LISTSERV.TEMPLE DOT EDU
Date: Mon, 19 Mar 2007 14:16:10 -0500
On Mon, Mar 19, 2007 at 02:46:04PM -0400, George Sinclair wrote:
> When you say parallelism of 16, do you mean the server parallelism, or
> are you referring to the actual number of target sessions you have set
> per drive? You have 2 drives, what do you have the target sessions set
> to on each?

16 target sessions, with a third non-jukebox drive set also to 16 target
sessions.

> Yeah, I could crank the target sessions for any one drive well beyond
> the server parallelism - it allows that - but can the total number of
> allowed "running" target sessions on the storage node exceed 32 if
> your server will actually allow a parallelism of, say, 96? For
> example, if one snode is running 20 sessions, and the server has no
> attached libraries, then could the other snode run 50 save sets?

I don't have storage nodes in my environment, so I don't know.  I don't
recall if we've ever exceeded 32 or not.  Networker's been known to have
some "bugs" where certain licensing rules aren't enforced; that's why I
mentioned my version.

> So would recovering data from an LTO-3 tape wherein multiplexing is
> set to, say, 12, versus from an LTO-1 where multiplexing is set to 4,
> maybe 5 be about as fast? Do the LTO-3 drives read data by a fast
> enough difference over the LTO-1 drives to make up for the increased
> target sessions?

I don't know how they compare.  I was coming from DLT, and noticed a
high enough speed boost I didn't care.  I don't know if an LTO1 to LTO3
jump is as large or how they compare at different multiplexing levels.

Dave