Networker

Re: [Networker] backup 1 cluster node with no license

2007-03-15 05:19:04
Subject: Re: [Networker] backup 1 cluster node with no license
From: mark wragge <mark_t_wragge AT YAHOO DOT IE>
To: NETWORKER AT LISTSERV.TEMPLE DOT EDU
Date: Thu, 15 Mar 2007 09:13:53 +0000
The client is windows, but it is not MSCS - it is C0-Standby server. Do I need
a Cluster license to backup CO-Standby server?

  Although info re. MSCS would be useful also. I know that if you now specify
the ALL saveset on a physical cluster client Networker will skip any shared
drives. If I remember correctly when you try to backup the shared drive using
the physical node name as the networker client the backup of data will not take
place. Networker is intelligent enough to know that the drive is shared and
skips backup of data on that drive.

Thanks

Darren Dunham <ddunham AT TAOS DOT COM> wrote:
  > Is it possible to backup 1 cluster node without a cluster agent
> license? The client would be backed up using the physical name. Backup
> of the virtual name is not necessary.
>
> The cluster is co-standby over a WAN and it is not necessary to backup
> the remote node and we do not want to purchase a cluster license. We
> are running networker 6.2 on windows but we will upgrade to 7.3 soon.

Is the client windows as well?

In general, I think the answer is yes for unix clients and no for
windows clients.

On machines I've dealt with, the unix client requres that you run a
cluster installation script. The 'save' binary looks for it and uses
that information to understand the cluster split. It also uses it to
notify the server that it's doing a cluster backup and needs a license.
No setup, it's just a normal machine.

The windows client seemed to auto-detect MSCS directly. We'd have a
group install the cluster software on a machine without telling us, and
it grabbed a cluster license.

--
Darren Dunham ddunham AT taos DOT com