Networker

[Networker] Need help with stinit.def for LTO-3

2007-01-25 18:12:47
Subject: [Networker] Need help with stinit.def for LTO-3
From: George Sinclair <George.Sinclair AT NOAA DOT GOV>
To: NETWORKER AT LISTSERV.TEMPLE DOT EDU
Date: Thu, 25 Jan 2007 17:53:23 -0500
Hi,

I need some help determining what values (global keywords, values, definitions for different tape drive types) to put in our stinit.def file to support IBM LTO-3 drives. We have a Linux (ES release 3) storage node running NetWorker 7.2.2. The attached tape library is a Storagetek L80. The current drives are Seagate LTO-1, but we're upgrading them to LTO-3. They shipped us the drives (I can see they're IBMs), and Storagetek will be coming to
do the install/upgrade.

IBM told me that they cannot transfer me to tech support because we do not have a current maintenance contract with IBM, so no help. Storagetek told me they can't really help with Linux, only Solaris (guess they're part of Sun now). They also said that you really don't need stinit.def anymore. Hmm... I get the impression that there are specific values that may need to be set, and the defaults may not suffice. I can't find anything on Legato's page, although I remember in the past they had a sample stinit.def, but it was very generalized, and they recommended contacting the manufacturer for more specific information, and I don't think it even had information for LTO-3. I don't have my password for accessing that darn Powerlink thing so I can't get to their documentation, but I think one of the manuals had a section on this, but can't recall if LTO-3 was in there, but again, I think they said to contact the manufacturer and that Legato's sample template was not to be taken as gospel, so back to the same old song and dance. Old Mother Hubbard goes to the cupboard, but cupboard is bare. :'(

The only place I could find anything was at Quantum's site. They have a Linux tape installation guide:

http://www.quantum.com/ServiceandSupport/SoftwareandDocumentationDownloads/LTO-3Drives/Index.aspx

and then select "Installation on Linux" link at bottom.

but, of course, everything applies to Certance drives, which I guess used to be Seagate and is now Quantum. I'm not sure these values would apply to the IBM drives or which ones would or would not, so I don't want to use these
entries unless I know.

I don't think our Linux kernel is going to have trouble seeing the drives after a reboot, and I suspect jbconfig will see the drives and configure the library fine (I'll first remove the old configuration). I'm just concerned about specific entries we might want to have that might cause us problems with NetWorker if we don't have them in the stinit.def.

Can anyone point me at a proper document or tell me what to do? What are others doing?

Thanks.

George

--
George Sinclair - NOAA/NESDIS/National Oceanographic Data Center
SSMC3 4th Floor Rm 4145       | Voice: (301) 713-3284 x210