Networker

Re: [Networker] How NW cloning & multiplexing REALLY works

2007-01-24 02:24:32
Subject: Re: [Networker] How NW cloning & multiplexing REALLY works
From: Dag Nygren <dag AT NEWTECH DOT FI>
To: NETWORKER AT LISTSERV.TEMPLE DOT EDU
Date: Wed, 24 Jan 2007 09:00:27 +0200
> I'm not sure what you're saying that NetWorker can do.  Are you saying:
>
> * that NW will take a series of backups that were backed up to an
> advanced file type device, and then multiplex them together when cloning
> them.
> * you can do more than one clone at a time from an advanced file type
> device
>
> I've tested both, and neither are true, at least in 7.3 (not running
> 7.3.2).  NetWorker still sees the advanced file type device as a tape
> drive, even though it's tape, and therefore will not allow multiple
> simultaneous reads from it.  In fact, the only way it's supporting
> simultaneous reads and writes is that it's tricked itself out by
> creating a read-only version of the same device.  This creates a number
> of weird things, like all the savesets being listed twice in an mminfo
> command, for example.  Very strange if you're not used to it.
>
> So did I misunderstand what you're saying it can do?

You certainly did.

I was just objecting to the fact that Davina said that Networker
by design cannot do concurrent reads from disk as this limitation
was removed in 7.3 up. Try to recover two or more savesets from
the same AFTD and you will see them both happening at the
same time.
I did not claim that NW would do the cloning in parallell.

Sorry for the misunderstanding

Dag