Networker

Re: [Networker] Advice on backup strategy for Oracle RMAN backups?

2007-01-19 10:29:54
Subject: Re: [Networker] Advice on backup strategy for Oracle RMAN backups?
From: George Sinclair <George.Sinclair AT NOAA DOT GOV>
To: NETWORKER AT LISTSERV.TEMPLE DOT EDU
Date: Fri, 19 Jan 2007 10:20:45 -0500
Thanks. Please see my responses below.

Uwe Weber wrote:

George Sinclair schrieb:
How do you recover the NetWorker save set onto disk? We'd like to try
pointing RMAN at the recovered disk area to resore it, but we ran
mminfo to get
the ssid for the affected save set (contains the control file), but
when we ran recover, we received a cross
platform error as follows:

I think that I have done this with a saveset that only contained
the cf, but I may be mistaken. But anyway, you can configure
RMAN to send the controlfile autobackups to disk, where they
can be backed up by Networker as a normal file. This should
solve all your problems with picking an older cf as well.
How would NetWorker know when to back up the data on disk? In other words,
how could you set it up so that NetWorker wouldn't attempt to back it up
if RMAM wasn't finished sending it to disk yet?

1. Just set the start time for the NetWorker group far enough beyond the start time for the RMAN cron job on the client so as to allow enough of a window? In other
words, guesstimate?

2. Create a cron job on the primary backup server that does something like:

savegrp group1
savegrp group2

were the NSR client resource for the given client is a member of group1 and it has the Oracle RMAN script as its saveset,but instead of the script backing it up to tape, it instead sends it to disk. Next, another NSR client resource for the same client is a member of group2, and its saveset is the affected area on disk where the data gets written, so the second savegrp command will back that
area up to tape but not until the first completes. Would this be reasonable?

# recover -d /oracle_test -s server_name -S ssid
Recovering files within RMAN:\oracle10.2\oracle10.2\SCRIPTS\ into
/oracle_test
recover: Permission denied by server server_name: Cross platform
recovery not supported
recover: Warning: Could not change working directory to  to remove
relocate directory /oracle_test

Because of the backslashes in the saveset name this looks like you are restoring a Windows saveset to an Unix machine. And it does not look like a RMAN saveset either cause the scriptname itself is missing, it should be something like RMAN:/opt/oracle/admin/myorcl \
/scripts/fullbackup.rman

We are not using Windows. Everything is Unix. I'm not sure why the script
name is getting truncated, but the save set for the affected NSR client resource
does list a full pathname for the Oracle RMAN script.

Is it the case that because RMAN was used to back up the original
save set, you can't then use a normal conventional recover
to recover it?

AFAIK not for datafiles, so I think that I did this with a cf,
but maybe I am mistaken here, I will have to test this again.

The saveset we tried to recover only contained the control file, and that didn't
work. What if we marked both the last saveset and the clone copy 'suspect'?
Would that force NetWorker to use the one before that?

I understand that you have 7 days you can go back, and adjusting the
MAXDAYS parameter would allow
it to be able to go back farther, but it will still take the first cf
it can find. We want to be able to tell it
to take the one before that, or the one before that, etc. So, if
there was a bad spot on the tape, for example,
and NetWorker still thought everything was OK, we'd be able to move
it back one at a time until it worked.

As far as I understand this mechanism RMAN should try
to get an older cf backuppiece if it can not read the first one.
So if there was a bad spot on tape, RMAN should correct this
problem automatically.
But you can always backup the cf via RMAN to disk
and then save and recover it with Networker.

Regards,
uwe

George Sinclair - NOAA/NESDIS/National Oceanographic Data Center
SSMC3 4th Floor Rm 4145       | Voice: (301) 713-3284 x210
1315 East West Highway        | Fax:   (301) 713-3301
Silver Spring, MD 20910-3282  | Web Site:  http://www.nodc.noaa.gov/