Networker

Re: [Networker] Does cloning unmuliplex and make recovery faster?

2007-01-17 18:35:17
Subject: Re: [Networker] Does cloning unmuliplex and make recovery faster?
From: "Werth, Dave" <dave.werth AT GARMIN DOT COM>
To: NETWORKER AT LISTSERV.TEMPLE DOT EDU
Date: Wed, 17 Jan 2007 17:28:04 -0600
Yes, I've occasionally used the GUI to clone when the automatic cloning
failed and if I recall correctly (it's been a year since I had to do it) it
was demultiplexed.  I suppose the GUI issues a separate nsrclone command for
each save set you specify.

When you clone you're making an exact copy of the save sets, not the tape
they are on, so variances in tape length shouldn't be a problem.
Multiplexing is just the intermix of different save sets on the backup and
where the breaks for another piece of media are is inconsequential.  In fact
I think it is possible to clone from one kind of media to another so if you
cloned from an AIT-2 to an AIT-4 tape you'd use 25% as much tape for the
clone as the original.

Dave

David Werth
Garmin AT, Inc