Networker

Re: [Networker] Does cloning unmuliplex and make recovery faster?

2007-01-16 17:55:17
Subject: Re: [Networker] Does cloning unmuliplex and make recovery faster?
From: "Werth, Dave" <dave.werth AT GARMIN DOT COM>
To: NETWORKER AT LISTSERV.TEMPLE DOT EDU
Date: Tue, 16 Jan 2007 16:46:58 -0600
I suppose when you do a stand alone clone it is demultiplexed but I don't
think automatic clones are.  We set Networker to automatically clone our
backups and our weekend full backup is between 400GB & 500 GB.  It takes us
about 2.6 AIT-4 tapes for a full backup and at least 3 of the save sets will
span all 3 volumes but I don't see the tapes being unloaded and loaded in
the way they would have to be in order to demultiplex the save sets.  It
just loads them in order until the clone is done.

So I think an automatic clone is basically just a copy of the original
backup with the multiplexing intact.

Dave

David Werth
Garmin AT, Inc