Networker

Re: [Networker] Exchange Performance Tweaks/Your OLDEST data restore story???

2007-01-12 17:06:34
Subject: Re: [Networker] Exchange Performance Tweaks/Your OLDEST data restore story???
From: Albert Eddie Contractor AFRPA CIO/IT <Eddie.Albert AT AFRPA.PENTAGON.AF DOT MIL>
To: NETWORKER AT LISTSERV.TEMPLE DOT EDU
Date: Fri, 12 Jan 2007 16:58:01 -0500
A number of people have replied back privately telling me that MB
backups do not get all the data. We know that. With the data that we
backup we need to be certain beyond any shadow of doubt that we can
restore all data. To that end we perform double and triple data backups.

We backup the MB (brick level), PF, IS, then full file systems and
system state... Well you get what I mean. This eats up a little more
tape, but when facing congress, we have never had to say "sorry we could
not retrieve the data". It is just NOT acceptable to not be able to
recover the data!

This was the best example (From Lisa Green) out of the 10-12 responses I
received.
===
One thing you might want to be aware of if you are not already, is that
the backups of Contacts or Distribution lists within Exchange Individual
MB or PF backups will not work.  If you backup the whole IS then it
works but under the individual mailboxes or PFs you cannot recover them.

Depending on what version of the Exchange module you are running, you
might not see any errors to tell you that it is failing.  You just get a
Green !.  When I went to do a restore of an individual PF Distribution
List, I could not.  When I opened a support call with Legato I was told
there was no fix for this problem and it was Microsoft's fault.  Legato
told me to upgrade to version 4.1.0.473 because then it shows the
errors.  Just a FYI.
===

The other thing is; we upgrade ALL MODULES and ALL CLIENTS when EMC
NETWORKER support tells us too. We have explained to them, that their
reputation is in THEIR hands. We do not upgrade at first release, we
wait until our support team gives us the green light.

Upgrading to 7.3.2 Jumbo 11 made me sweat, because a new support team
member told me to upgrade immediately. After reiterating my above listed
responsibility to him about owning his company's reputation, he insisted
we upgrade IMMEDIATELY. /shrug

Semper Fidelis et Paratus! /ALE

Eddie Albert
Enterprise Network Engineer
Air Force Real Property Agency
1700 N MOORE ST., SUITE 2300
ARLINGTON, VIRGINIA 22209
Eddie.Albert AT afrpa.PENTAGON.af DOT mil
(703) 696-5509 or (703) 298-7737 Cell