Networker

Re: [Networker] NetWorker 7.2.2 Jumbo shipped out quietly...

2006-12-17 15:25:09
Subject: Re: [Networker] NetWorker 7.2.2 Jumbo shipped out quietly...
From: Siobhán Ellis <siobhanellis AT HOTMAIL DOT COM>
To: NETWORKER AT LISTSERV.TEMPLE DOT EDU
Date: Mon, 18 Dec 2006 07:17:14 +1100
Oscar,

Speaking as someone who used to be in product management I am astounded at
your response. We had a fairly strict policy of major versions being a .0 or
a .5 and no new features in a dot-dot release. The only exception to the new
functionality was when we were listening to the user community who were
pushing for new functionality.

7.3 was a major release, and they should've called it 7.5 or 8.0.
EMC had planned to release new features in dot-dot releases of 7.3.x, such
as the push distribution technology. Indeed, 7.3.2 included ZFS support for
the 1st time - arguably a new feature. I can tell you, as a 7.3 beta site,
that we were still logging bugs up to the release date and they decided to
release anyway! So they most definitely are not listening.

In my opinion, 7.3 is partly such bad quality because they have lost the
continuity they used to have and have "forgotten" the debacle of 5.5. Well,
they have a new one to remember again.

Siobhan

On 17/12/06 1:57 PM, "Oscar Olsson" <spam1 AT QBRANCH DOT SE> wrote:

> On 2006-12-17 13:07, Peter Viertel revealed:
>
> PV> It seems a rather dishonest approach to patching, making us do all the
> PV> work to figure out what we get from an update so it doesn't look bad to
> PV> new customers... And as usual I'd bet money on there being more fixes
> PV> than they've listed...
>
> To my knowledge, they don't release an official list of fixed bugs in the
> release notes, until an official release of 7.2.3, where all the bugs
> should be listed. If they don't, then I'll sign on the "dishonest" remark
> :)
>
> IMHO, I think its good that they seem to focus more on product stability
> now, rather than letting marketing and product development push new, and
> probably broken features instead. I guess our complaints about what they
> should put their product development effort paid off at last (ie fix bugs,
> not develop new releases with new features until we have something solid
> to start from). However, the 7.3 branch still has a long way to go.
>
> //Oscar

> type
> this list.
> You can access the archives at