Networker

Re: [Networker] 2007 USA Daylight Savings Change

2006-12-14 21:49:26
Subject: Re: [Networker] 2007 USA Daylight Savings Change
From: Peter Viertel <Peter.Viertel AT MACQUARIE DOT COM>
To: NETWORKER AT LISTSERV.TEMPLE DOT EDU
Date: Fri, 15 Dec 2006 13:44:18 +1100
The 2038 problem is a bit of a beatup - it's all predicated on the date
being stored in 32 bit integers. I expect over the next few years the OS
vendors will make a bit of effort and update their kernels to use
64bits...   Macs are probably  in this category due to them being based
on BSD unix...

However you look at it unix systems have a few patches needed in the
next 30 years ...   Windows on the other hand needs all its date
handling re-written, its worse than the mess unix was in back in the
late 80s when Daylight savings only worked if you were in north america
and in some horrid cases system time was figured out by taking 8 hours
off the realtime-clock and there was no way to subtract 6 months off a
date and be sure you have the right hour displayed - gee I hope no ones
still running Xenix or AIX-2 out there...

More relevant to this list however is the question of how dates and
local time offsets are stored in the label headers and the UASM
streams... If you are planning on keeping a legato backup for 40 years
this is going to be of interest - though I presume it wont stop
restores, It just may be a bit annoying if you want your datestamps to
work... Eg - will it display the time correctly or might it be 1 hour
out because of changes to DST policies - what happens when you take a
tape to new york from sydney or from unix to windows anyway?

All good questions for when the christmas break gets boring and I have
to find a 'puter.