Networker

Re: [Networker] 2007 USA Daylight Savings Change

2006-12-14 18:53:08
Subject: Re: [Networker] 2007 USA Daylight Savings Change
From: Tim Mooney <Tim.Mooney AT NDSU DOT EDU>
To: NETWORKER AT LISTSERV.TEMPLE DOT EDU
Date: Thu, 14 Dec 2006 17:46:02 -0600
In regard to: RE: [Networker] 2007 USA Daylight Savings Change, Peter...:

On solaris you still need to reboot so that all processes pick up the
zoneinfo...

Absolutely.  Linux and other platforms too, I would guess.

We know all about that stuff in australia, each state has their own mind
about the dates.. Last year it was the commonwealth games - they changed
the date with 4 months notice and forced us to patch every one of our
servers on the planet, in 2000 the olympics pushed the dates around and
then just a few weeks ago western australia suddenly turned around after
years of refusing to have it at all (because it upsets cows and causes
curtains to fade) and implemented it on Dec 3rd with 10 days notice...

I remember seeing patches to the zoneinfo files for you guys on
several separate occasions that I've been patching systems.  Upsetting
cows is a valid concern in the part of the world that I live in too.  ;-)

Regardless of the operating systems, JVMs have their own zoneinfo - so
you have to track down all the JREs SDKs etc and patch them, with the
attendant 'enhancements' in each patch of java mucking up your applets.
Eddie's right, you're all running out of time already....

That's a good point, that I didn't think of!  You're right too -- an
application server might have quite a few different JVMs installed as
part of various packages (like the new NetWorker GUI!).  The JRE is kind
of a special case as applications go, but considering all the applications
that run on top of that application, that does add to the problem.

Thanks for the point about Java -- that's an important one that I wouldn't
have thought of.

Tim
--
Tim Mooney                                           Tim.Mooney AT ndsu DOT edu
Information Technology Services                      (701) 231-1076 (Voice)