Networker

Re: [Networker] Tape Management/Offsite tape rotation

2006-12-14 15:54:17
Subject: Re: [Networker] Tape Management/Offsite tape rotation
From: Rodney Rutherford <rrutherf AT TRIPOS DOT COM>
To: NETWORKER AT LISTSERV.TEMPLE DOT EDU
Date: Thu, 14 Dec 2006 14:48:35 -0600
We were looking at using Iron Mountain at one point.  I don't believe
they have any client software, but they do provide an online database
for their customers.  When they receive in offsite tapes from the
customer, the tapes are scanned into the database.  The customer can
then view that data to know what tapes are offsite, do reporting, etc.

For my purposes, I created a shell script that I use for exporting
and offsiting tapes.  The script automatically selects the appropriate
tapes from the library, exports them, and then updates the networker
location field to show them offsite along with the date.  That way I
can track what is offsite and when they went.

When they come back onsite, I update the locations to show them in
the onsite tape storage location.  Pretty simple but effective.

Rodney

Albert Eddie Contractor AFRPA CIO/IT wrote:
I would consider milking one of those services for the information
anyway. Call them and ask them if they have software that does what you
want it to do, if they say yes ask them the name of it. /shrug
Unethical... I don't think so but your mileage may vary... /ALE

--
Rodney P. Rutherford - Senior UNIX Administrator - Tripos, Inc.
1699 S. Hanley Road, St. Louis, MO 63144