Networker

Re: [Networker] Need help with device modes and compression

2006-12-13 19:26:50
Subject: Re: [Networker] Need help with device modes and compression
From: Darren Dunham <ddunham AT TAOS DOT COM>
To: NETWORKER AT LISTSERV.TEMPLE DOT EDU
Date: Wed, 13 Dec 2006 16:18:06 -0800
> 1. Since stinit reports 4 modes from 0-3, but our stinit.def file
> numbers these modes from 1-4, SHOULD
> I edit the stinit.def file to match this so it, too, numbers them from
> 0-3, or does stinit figure that out?

No, I don't think so.  That's the output I always see, so I just assume
that it's a reporting difference.

> Again, I'm using /dev/nst0, 1, 2 and 3 for my 4 devices, but if stinit
> thinks this each of those is mode 0 then how could
> it be assigning it properly if the stinit.def file doesn't have a line
> for mode 0?

One utility calls the first slot 0, one calls it 1.  It's still the
first slot.  I don't think you have anything misconfigured.

> When I run 'mt -f /dev/nst0 status' against drive 1, with a loaded
> NetWorker labeled tape, it reports code 0x4a, so it's obviously picking
> up one
> of the first 2 lines from the stinit.def file, and since we're seeing
> more than 300 GB on some tapes I would think it must be using line 1
> (mode 1).

Me, too.

> 2. We've done NetWorker recovers on these new SDLT 600 drives using
> older SDLT 1 tapes that were written on SDLT 220 drives,
> Everything works fine, but the device names were still /dev/nst0, 1, 2
> and 3. If stinit does think this is mode 1 how was
> it able to read the tape since I didn't use /dev/nst0a (mode 4)? Does it
> know to jump down to the 220 definition and use
> the mode 1 listed there instead of the mode 4 listed under the 600
> definition?

The mode is given to the device by the driver.  It's up to the device
what to do with it.  The density only matters when writing block 0 to
the tape.  All later writes follow that density.
(compression/non-compression can be changed though).  All reads simply
work if the device is compatible.  The density/compression settings are
ignored.