Networker

Re: [Networker] 7.3.2 and ZFS

2006-12-12 07:57:27
Subject: Re: [Networker] 7.3.2 and ZFS
From: Adrian Saul <asaul AT HOME-BOX.ODS DOT ORG>
To: NETWORKER AT LISTSERV.TEMPLE DOT EDU
Date: Tue, 12 Dec 2006 23:57:10 +1100
My first impression of 7.3.2 and ZFS is to wait until EMC read some more documentation about ZFS and implement less flimsy support for ZFS.

As it stands, you cant backup ZFS filesystems unless you explictly list the filesystem savesets - to use the ALL directive you have to mount ZFS filesystems as legacy or add dummy entries to the vfstab which kind of defeats half the beauty of ZFS. Why they cant figure out what is mounted or not is beyond me. At the moment I have a cron job that creates the dummy ZFS vfstab entries for me before the savegroup starts.

It is also extremly noisy about crossing filesystem boundries (re: complaints about not backing up a filesystem because it is mounted on top of another) during saves - which may or may not be an issue depending on who is reading the messages.

That said we have one E450 with zones and ZFS being backed up using 7.3.2 with a 7.2.2 server and so far it seems fine, given the above workarounds. I am curious to see if the support gets better in the next few releases before I start pushing ZFS like I would like to in our organisation. Backups is pretty much what is stopping us deploying ZFS outside our own management machines.

Cheers,
        Adrian

Andrew Dietz wrote:
Does anyone have any experience/lessons learned to share with backing up Solaris clients with ZFS filesystems in the new 7.3.2 version of NetWorker? We're looking at a potential mandatory upgrade since 7.3.2 is the first release to support ZFS...

Andrew

To sign off this list, send email to listserv AT listserv.temple DOT edu and type "signoff networker" in the body of the email. Please write to networker-request AT listserv.temple DOT edu if you have any problems with this list. You can access the archives at http://listserv.temple.edu/archives/networker.html or