Networker

Re: [Networker] NetWorker on Intel-based Mac

2006-12-11 12:41:22
Subject: Re: [Networker] NetWorker on Intel-based Mac
From: David Johnson <davidj AT ICSI.BERKELEY DOT EDU>
To: NETWORKER AT LISTSERV.TEMPLE DOT EDU
Date: Mon, 11 Dec 2006 09:36:44 -0800

    Stan> On Dec 9, 2006, at 3:55 PM � 12/9/06, Oscar Olsson wrote:
    >> On 2006-12-08 15:52, Stan Horwitz revealed:
    >>
    SH> I then shut down Vista and I installed the latest NetWorker
    SH> for
    >> Mac client.
    SH> I am running a fully patched and updated system on my MacBook
    >> Pro. I
    SH> installed the client on my MBP, then I changed the start up
    >> script to point
    SH> to my backup server. Trouble is, I could not get any nsrexecd
    >> daemons to run
    SH> at all. They generate a crash long which I cannot interpret.
    >> So you're saying that networker doesn't run at all on OSX on
    >> Intel?  I can understand if they haven't released a native
    >> intel binary, but if it doesn't work at all on intel macs, I
    >> would consider that as a problem. Or is it related to the OSX
    >> release?
    >>
    >> We currently only back up powerPC based OSX servers though.

We use SEBS, aka Solstice Backup - Sun's rebadged version of
Networker.

After reading all of the documentation and going through Sun's first
level support we had to actually get an escalation to find out that
7.3.2 isn't supported on Intel Macs.  We were told end of first
quarter next year, but not sure if that's for EMC to release it or for
Sun to releast it with changed graphics (which is always a month or
two later).

Don't you love documentation that tells you exactly which file systems
it supports and how much disk space it needs but omits to point out
that it doesn't run on any hardware currently produced that bears the
"Mac" label?  And to have an installer that claims to start the daemon
but doesn't say anything when it immediately crashes just adds icing
to the cake!

This was the straw that broke the camels back and launched me on my
current search for a replacement for Networker...

David.