Networker

Re: [Networker] desktop backup software

2006-12-08 21:46:16
Subject: Re: [Networker] desktop backup software
From: Curtis Preston <cpreston AT GLASSHOUSE DOT COM>
To: NETWORKER AT LISTSERV.TEMPLE DOT EDU
Date: Fri, 8 Dec 2006 21:43:13 -0500
>I do agree with you that business information should not reside on any
>PC, but a lot of users do not respect or understand that which is why
>they create software like these. ;)

Which is why I disagree with the "it's up to the user to backup their
PC" mentality.  Business data is ALWAYS on laptops.  Every survey shows
that a significant portion of every company's IP is only on a desktop or
laptop at any given time.  And (IMHO) adopting a "it's up to them to
back it up" is not looking after the company's data.  It's a head in the
sand approach.

Now, I agree that there are problems with using traditional backup
software to backup desktops and especially laptops.  However, if you use
a product designed to do it, I don't see the problem.