Networker

Re: [Networker] About .nsr local directive..

2006-12-07 11:17:58
Subject: Re: [Networker] About .nsr local directive..
From: George Sinclair <George.Sinclair AT NOAA DOT GOV>
To: NETWORKER AT LISTSERV.TEMPLE DOT EDU
Date: Thu, 7 Dec 2006 10:57:39 -0500
By default, during an incremental, NetWorker backs up any file whose
modtime or file status time has changed since the previous
backup. This is how incrementals work. So, for example, if the file
doesn't change but the permissions, owner,
group, etc. does then the file will get backed up just the same as it
would if the modtime changed as a result
of an edit or whatever. Unless you specify otherwise (using a
directive), this is the behavior of NetWorker during
an incremental. So, anything that was previously skipped will not get
backed up if it stays in the same place,
unless you force it using a fully named pathname for a save set. Not
sure what happens if its moved to another
location and keeps its older modtime. I would guess it would get backed up?

If you were running a level full then I have no answer since a full
should capture everything except what
a server or client side directive would tell it to skip.

Be aware, however, that *if* you're using two NSR client resources
wherein one is capturing the data and
the other is skipping it then when you browse, you will see whatever the
last one did, so the index entries
could have been removed if the one that skips was the last one to run.
*If* that's the case then I would
recommend changing the one that skips from 'skip' to 'null' so the index
entries created by the first one
are not removed by the second one. Otherwise, you'd have to set your
browse time to the exact time
(hours minutes, seconds) to see those files.

Could this be happening?

George

--
George Sinclair - NOAA/NESDIS/National Oceanographic Data Center
SSMC3 4th Floor Rm 4145       | Voice: (301) 713-3284 x210