Networker

Re: [Networker] How to refresh client information

2006-12-04 15:36:13
Subject: Re: [Networker] How to refresh client information
From: Davina Treiber <DavinaTreiber AT PEEVRO.CO DOT UK>
To: NETWORKER AT LISTSERV.TEMPLE DOT EDU
Date: Mon, 4 Dec 2006 20:25:20 +0000
Tim Mooney wrote:
In regard to: Re: [Networker] How to refresh client information, Davina...:

I don't think this ever gets updated. It is set when you first create the client. I have tried in the past to update this using nsradmin but it refuses to do it - I think it is read-only data. Raise a bug with EMC if you feel strongly about it.

Now I've seen everything.  Davina was wrong about something
Networker-related!  ;-)

By the way - I'm taking that as a compliment, I hope that's OK with you.

I have just had a look at a 7.2.1 Solaris server, and many of the
clients have no information whatsoever about the NetWorker version, OS
type etc. Am I missing something here?

I'm not sure why you have clients that aren't filling in the "client OS
type", "NetWorker version", etc, but ours always have.  The only time
we see a client with no information in those fields is when it's
new and hasn't yet been backed up.  Right now, all 116 of our clients
have both OS and client version filled in and current.

I am still confused. I have checked on the Linux server in my own office
which runs NW 7.2.1, and all my clients (including the one for the server)
show the NetWorker version and OS fields as blank. Are we looking at
something here that is version specific or platform specific?

$nsr_osver_list | egrep bb-web1
bb-web1-s.ndsu.nodak.edu            Linux                 7.1.3.Build.421
$sudo savegrp -p -c bb-web1-s.ndsu.nodak.edu 'Testing'
[output elided]
$nsr_osver_list | egrep bb-web1
bb-web1-s.ndsu.nodak.edu            Linux                 7.1.3.Build.421

That means that a successful probe isn't enough to get the info updated.
However, if I remove the '-p' from the savegrp arguments and run it again,
so it's a real backup, and then run the nsr_osver_list script in a
different window while the backup is still in progress, I can see that
the info has updated:

$nsr_osver_list | egrep 'bb-web1'
bb-web1-s.ndsu.nodak.edu            Linux                 7.2.2.Build.422

So, a probe won't do it but a backup that can successfully connect to
the client will, even before the backup finishes.

I guess that means that your server is 7.2.2 as well. Perhaps I should upgrade and see if it changes.