Networker

Re: [Networker] 7.3.x

2006-11-30 11:07:43
Subject: Re: [Networker] 7.3.x
From: Davina Treiber <DavinaTreiber AT PEEVRO.CO DOT UK>
To: NETWORKER AT LISTSERV.TEMPLE DOT EDU
Date: Thu, 30 Nov 2006 15:58:35 +0000
King, David wrote:

My boss is pressuring me to go to 7.3.x.  (All Windows 2003 servers).  He's
heard great things about it (all from EMC of course).  Yeah yeah blah blah.  We
have 2 large environments and over 40 small ones.   Apart from the usual client
backups, we use RMAN, NDMP for our Celerras (non-NDMP devices), Exchange, DDS,
both dedicated and non-dedicates storage nodes, and are planning on Powersnap
soon.

I've been able to forestall him by relating the comments I've heard here for
7.3 and 7.3.1, and I've seen the emails for the following problems on 7.3.2:

        1. nsrauth problems (?)

        2. savepnpc post command problems  (This will be a pain)

3. GUI problems (Unacceptable)
        4. drive target sessions problems.  This will break our business case
requirements!!

        5. major media index problems.  Will I get more XCHK errors than I get
now?

6. loss of command line functionality. Will this break my scripts that use mminfo, nsradmin, nsrjb (relabeling and setting 'full') etc?
Leaving aside the numerous negatives you will no doubt hear about 7.3.x, what feature of 7.3.x is it that your boss feels he needs? If it ain't broke, don't fix it, and 7.2.x is a lot less broke that 7.3.x.