Networker

[Networker] 7.3.x

2006-11-30 08:43:57
Subject: [Networker] 7.3.x
From: "King, David" <dking AT EASTMAN DOT COM>
To: NETWORKER AT LISTSERV.TEMPLE DOT EDU
Date: Thu, 30 Nov 2006 08:30:25 -0500
My boss is pressuring me to go to 7.3.x.  (All Windows 2003 servers).  He's
heard great things about it (all from EMC of course).  Yeah yeah blah blah.  We
have 2 large environments and over 40 small ones.   Apart from the usual client
backups, we use RMAN, NDMP for our Celerras (non-NDMP devices), Exchange, DDS,
both dedicated and non-dedicates storage nodes, and are planning on Powersnap
soon.

I've been able to forestall him by relating the comments I've heard here for
7.3 and 7.3.1, and I've seen the emails for the following problems on 7.3.2:

        1. nsrauth problems (?)

        2. savepnpc post command problems  (This will be a pain)

        3. GUI problems (Unacceptable)

        4. drive target sessions problems.  This will break our business case
requirements!!

        5. major media index problems.  Will I get more XCHK errors than I get
now?

        6. loss of command line functionality.  Will this break my scripts that
use mminfo, nsradmin, nsrjb (relabeling and setting 'full') etc?

Any other biggies?

Is 7.4 due out Q107??  Is there an obsolescence date for 7.2?

David L. King