Networker

Re: [Networker] backup of / failing

2006-11-21 11:50:08
Subject: Re: [Networker] backup of / failing
From: Jason Kölker <jason AT KOELKER DOT NET>
To: NETWORKER AT LISTSERV.TEMPLE DOT EDU
Date: Tue, 21 Nov 2006 10:37:11 -0600
On Tue, 2006-11-21 at 10:04 -0500, Landwehr, Jerome wrote:
> I have a NW 7.2.1 data zone with a Unix master server and a Unix network
> client, both Solaris 9, on the same subnet, both on gigabit copper
> network, no network errors or collisions
>
> I have never been able to get a successful backup of / (yet /var works
> everytime)

I assume that / has more data than /var, correct?

> I've tried everything, deleting the index, backing up from the client,
> deleting the client resource, upgrading to 7.2.2 on the client, putting
> a .nsr file to skip directories, yet everytime I get about 14MB and then
> the error "lost connection to server, exiting"

Is there perchance a firewall or some other filtering in between the 2
servers.  It sounds like the control connection is getting terminated
since there is no data passing on it.  This can happen with large
volumes when data is being transferred on the data ports and nothing on
the control port.

If you set the NSR_KEEPALIVE_WAIT environment variable in the start up
script on the client to something like 30, this will send a keep alive
packet on the control port every 30 seconds.

> Of course EMC support 'has never seen this' and has done nothing more
> than the obvious
>
> Has anyone seen this or have suggestions?

You might also try running a backup of / manually on the client with
"-vvv" and/or "-D9" arguments to `save` to get some better output if the
NSR_KEEPALIVE_WAIT doesn't work.  Usually with "-D9" you can see exactly
what's going on.

Happy Hacking!

7-11