Networker

Re: [Networker] sustained firewall config issues

2006-11-13 06:54:03
Subject: Re: [Networker] sustained firewall config issues
From: Davina Treiber <DavinaTreiber AT PEEVRO.CO DOT UK>
To: NETWORKER AT LISTSERV.TEMPLE DOT EDU
Date: Mon, 13 Nov 2006 11:45:40 +0000
You have misunderstood the instructions in the docs - which I have to admit is easily done.

* UDP connections are never required, TCP ports are all that is necessary. Forget UDP.

* The range from 10001-30000 are SOURCE ports, not destination ports. So you shouldn't need to worry about these unless you also configured your firewall based on source ports, something I think that is rarely done. The docs are very confusing about this point. Forget about 10001 - 30000.

* By default, NetWorker needs the following ports opened between a client and a server:
Server to client: TCP 7937-7938
Client to server: TCP 7937-9936.

* If you have storage nodes behind the firewall you need slightly more ports:
Server to storage node: TCP 7937 - (7938 + 4*numdrives)
Storage node to server: TCP 7937 - 9936.

* If your company will allow it, I would recommend opening up those ranges of ports and leaving it at that. It will all work beautifully when set up that way. However if you MUST use a smaller range of ports, then you need to start configuring nsrports as well. From experience I have found that this works fine for filesystem backups but causes sporadic failures for RMAN backups on all clients including those not behind firewalls, which is why I would advise you to stick with the default range if possible.

* If you do need to start messing with nsrports, remember that this needs to be done on the NetWorker server, and that NetWorker needs to be restarted afterwards. But I say again - use the defaults if you are allowed to.

That really is all you need to know.... much simpler than it looks in the admin guide.

Ty Young wrote:

NetWorker 7.2.1 (Solaris) server
NetWorker 7.2.1 (Solaris) storage node #1
NetWorker 7.2.1 (Win2k3) storage node #2
NetWorker 7.2.1 (Win2k3) clients

All,

I have lingering firewall issues and I can't make sense of them.   I've
read and I believe followed the directions in the Windows Admin guide on
setting up firewalls for NetWorker, which basically seem to indicate that
you need to open up a couple of ranges of ports, 7937 to (7937+x) and 10001
to (10001+y), both TCP and UDP, bidirectionally.

I've done that, and I've also configured storage node #2 (behind a
firewall) with nsrports -S 7937-7970 -C 10001-10050 as well as the clients
(which are behind a second firewall.)   Lastly, I've re-started the
services on all boxes to be sure they're freshly loaded with the right
config out of nsrla.res.

What's happening (still) is that I cannot perform a savegrp backup.  I get
RPC failures:

157. sudo savegrp -vvvv -p -l full -c lendb01 -G GOLD-xxxxxx_Bkups
Password:
lendb01:All                               level=full
11/09/06 16:07:55 savegrp: Run up to 24 clients in parallel
11/09/06 16:07:55 savegrp: lendb01:probe
started
savefs -s dalsn004 -c lendb01 -g GOLD-xxxxxxx_Bkups -p -l full -R -v
11/09/06 16:08:19 savegrp: command 'savefs -s dalsn004 -c lendb01 -g
GOLD-xxxxxx_Bkups -p -l full -R -v ' for client lendb01 exited with return
code 1.
11/09/06 16:08:19 savegrp: lendb01:probe succeeded.
* lendb01:All rcmd lendb01, user root: `savefs -s dalsn004 -c lendb01 -g
GOLD-xxxxxx_Bkups -p -l full -R -v'
* lendb01:All nsrexec: authtype
* lendb01:All savefs: RPC error: Remote system error
* lendb01:All savefs: Cannot access nsr server `dalsn004'
 savefs lendb01: failed.
--- Probe Summary ---

lendb01:All                        level=full, dn=-1, mx=0, vers=unknown,
p=1
lendb01:All             level=full, pool=xxxxxx, save as of Thu Nov  9
16:08:19 GMT-0600 2006
lendb01:index                      level=full, dn=-1, mx=0, vers=unknown,
p=1
lendb01:index           level=full, pool=xxxxxx, save as of Thu Nov  9
16:08:19 GMT-0600 2006

I would really appreciate any help you can give me.   TIA

Phillip T. ("Ty") Young, DMA
Manager, Data Center and Backup/Recovery Services
Information Services
i2 Technologies, Inc.

"signoff networker" in the

"signoff networker" in the