Networker

[Networker] restore from two libraries?

2006-11-02 12:10:09
Subject: [Networker] restore from two libraries?
From: Matt Temple <mht AT RESEARCH.DFCI.HARVARD DOT EDU>
To: NETWORKER AT LISTSERV.TEMPLE DOT EDU
Date: Thu, 2 Nov 2006 11:52:22 -0500

All,

    I've asked this question before, but quite a while ago.   So I'll
ask again.  I'm trying to find out if Networker
is /finally/ smart enough to perform a recover when the tapes
necessary for the recovery are
in two different libraries, something it could not do a couple of
years ago.

History:

After running with a 126-slot Qualstar tape drive and 3 AIT-3 drives
for some time,
I added a storage node, the same library with AIT-4 drives.   I then
found that AIT-4 drives could
/not/ read AIT-3 tapes.   I continued anyway with my scheme, which was
to run daily backups on the
original library and level 5/7/full on the new storage node.

Problem:

All apparently went well until I had to restore a full file system.
I still had a most-recent full backup
on the old AIT-3 tapes, then a level 5 and a few level 7s on the AIT-4
tapes, and incrementals
on AIT-3 tapes.   When it came time to actually run the recover, the
recover application "knew"
that all the tapes were present between the two libraries.   (All
volumes on line)   But when it came
time to change the tape being read  from the first library to the
storage node, a message popped up
insisting the the next tape be mounted IN THE SAME LIBRARY as the
first tape being recovered.

Legato Tech Support acknowledged that this was, indeed, the way
Networker behaved and was generally unhelpful
in providing any kind of fix.   Promises were made that this would be
fixed by a patch.   As far as I can tell,
this patch has never occurred.

Does anyone know if some flavor of 7.3 ever fixed this stupidity?
(OK, I could blame SONY, too,
for producing a tape drive that wasn't upward compatible, and I do.)
But I was totally amazed
 that the recover program could know that the tapes were there in the
two libraries, but /still/ only be able
to use one library.

Thanks to all, as usual.

                                              Matt Temple

- --
Matthew Temple                Tel:    617/632-2597
Director, Research Computing  Fax:    617/582-7820
Dana-Farber Cancer Institute  mht AT research.dfci.harvard DOT edu
44 Binney Street,  LG300/300  http://research.dfci.harvard.edu
Boston, MA 02115              Choice is the Choice!