Networker

[Networker] Cloning and setting new browse time

2006-11-01 17:22:19
Subject: [Networker] Cloning and setting new browse time
From: Jeff Kelly <jeffkell AT CA.IBM DOT COM>
To: NETWORKER AT LISTSERV.TEMPLE DOT EDU
Date: Wed, 1 Nov 2006 14:05:52 -0800
I'm working on setting up the following environment for Oracle RMAN
backups:

Networker 7.3.2 (client/server/storage node)
Server/Storage Node (Linux RHEL4)
Client Solaris 8
Oracle 8.1.7

Weekly Rotation (Sun-> full, during the week a combination of lvl 1, 2)
RMAN backups go to an adv_file volume (allows faster RMAN verifies, etc)
Clone immediately (or within 12 hours) to tape
Recycle/expire/remove adv_file copy after 1 week (or until successful start
of next rotation's full)

we have a 60 day retention requirement, and I'd also like to keep the
saveset's browseable for this time.

I've been trying to figure out if there's a way to have networker manage
the retention and browse times, but so far the best I can do automatically
is to have the initial RMAN save have a browse/retention of 1 week, and
then manually override the retention when I do the clone.  This means that
I'll have 2 weeks before the dsk copies will expire, but I can probably
live with that.  However it doesn't address the browse time.

Another idea is to set the initial browse/retention to 60 days, and then
1/week manually expire or mark suspect the dsk copies (once they've been
cloned to tape), but this will require quite a bit more scripting on my
part..

My last idea was to Set the browse retention to 60 days, stage the backup
to tape immediately (or within 12 hours), and then clone back to disk with
a smaller retention, but this will keep my tape drive busy for twice as
long, and I do have other backups to stage...

Has anyone else had to set up this type of clone/browse retention?

(I've already tried (unsuccessfully) to get our DBA's to let me just keep 1
copy of the backup on a disk volume, and then stage it all after 1 week...
they're adamant on having a copy on disk as well as a copy on tape...)

Thanks

Jeff Kelly